Look up the word UPHOLSTERING in any dictionary and its definition will be very dull;
'To provide chairs, sofas or similar soft furniture with stuffing, springs, cushions, and covering fabric’.
But for the Upholsterer who has vision and enthusiasm the word means just so much more ...
• It means taking an old chair and peeling back the layers of history - each giving clues to its past.
• It means repairing the frame that has worked loose over the years - to make it strong and serviceable for decades to come.
• It means restoring the show wood back to its former glory - with stains and polish and wax.
• It means creating a seat exactly the way it should be - to make it really comfortable and supportive, using webbing, springs, stuffing, hessian, wool/cotton felt and calico.
• It means choosing a fabric that will delight, dazzle, amaze, or perhaps quietly please the senses.
• It means that when you have finished you have created a piece of furniture that is you in every sense of the word. Not produced by a factory down to a price - but tailored by you, to be what you wanted. Its shape, its comfort, its strength and beauty - you did it all!